1. Provide your name, major, year in school (sophomore, junior, etc).
My name is Jade Leslie! I'm a junior majoring in Communication Design with minors in Architecture and Creative Practices for Social Change, or potentially Environmental Studies.
2. Tell us a bit about your background and what prompted you to take this class.
I was an architecture major for a year before I decided it was a bit too technical for me, although I still love the creative side of architecture. Because of this, I'm still more interested in architectural design than pursuing graphic design, but I decided to take this class because I thought it would teach me really good skills for my future regardless of the path that I end up following.
3. Do you have any experience with HTML/CSS/JS? If so, tell us a bit about it.
I do not have any experience with HTML/CSS/JS, but I'm excited to learn!
4. Name one thing you hope to learn in this class.
I hope to learn how to use HTML/CSS/JS to create websites with both strong design and communication.
5. Name one way you expect designing for screen to be different from designing for paper.
When designing for a screen, it's important to think about how a website will act/function differently depending on the screen it's on — a laptop, a phone, a tablet, etc. and make sure it will work in any format.
6. Provide a link to a website you think exemplifies effective design. Explain your choice.
Jeni's website shows effective design because the images of ice cream make you want to buy it because it looks so appealing while having a good amount of wording to help find your way around the site.
7. Provide a link to a website you think exemplifies effective communication. Explain your choice.
Bon Appétit's website exemplifies effective communication because it has images and wording that draw your attention in while being easily able to find other recipes and articles within the page. Easy navigation is especially important with an online magazine, and if the communication did not work effectively readers would not want to continue their subscriptions.
8. Provide a link to a website you think works well. Explain your choice.
The Museum of Modern Art's website works well because it is easy to navigate while the design gives off a sleek, modern look which makes sense for the brand.